Updated: Oct 7
I find that breakouts can be from a whole series of things. For me it's definitely from some serious lack of sleep. I went from having crazy breakouts in my teens to pretty good skin for a while. Now I feel like I have a new spot every day. It's super stressful and can leave you feeling so frustrated. There are so many factors as to why we get breakouts and it can be hard getting a clear complexion.
Maybe it's the products you are using that are causing the breakouts. Or it can be that the breakouts keep happening in the same area. You are probably looking in the mirror freaking out so here are some reasons why it could be happening and what to do.
For me breakouts are definitely hormonal and triggered by stress which means an over production of oil. This leads to clogged pores and then those pesky breakouts. Everyone is different when it comes to their skin. For me I definitely inherited my mum's skin and had crazy breakouts as teen and now as an adult from stress. If your skin is really bad then you will definitely need to get advice from a dermatologist. As well as look at your bad habits and see what you can do to make your life a little better.
Here are some reasons why you are breaking out:
1. Wearing a mask every day and for long periods of time will definitely affect skin. Change your mask up to a breathable fabric. Try change up to a brand like Sophie Moda. Its so much better then most of the masks and the market I have seen a huge difference in my teen's skin because of it.
2. Try to keep makeup to the absolute minimum with the mask if you can skip it then great. Otherwise go with a tinted moisturizer so skin can still breath.
3. Wash your face twice a day. You need to make sure all the dirt, impurities and makeup have been removed because this can cause more breakouts. Make sure you swap out your pillowcases just to make sure that you aren't lying on any bacteria. I love a silk pillowcase when it comes to sleeping. It's much kinder on my skin. Love the pillowcases from deardeer as they are anti-ageing and don't absorb your face creams and serums.
4. Lack of sleep definitely triggers breakouts. When the body is stressed and pumped full of cortisol (stress hormone) it binds to your oil glands causing breakouts. Find ways to relax, don't look at your phone, have a bath with some Epsom salts and try a little meditation. Find ways that will really help you relax. We love TRE (trauma and tension release) as it's a great way to release stress and tension. More sleep = happy skin.
5. Over scrubbing and exfoliating your face won't help with breakouts. The key here is to repair your skin's protective barrier to keep the bacteria out. Make sure you don't exfoliate more than 3 times a week and use one that is gentle on your skin. Over scrubbing won't take away the breakouts you are just traumatizing your skin.
Make sure you look for an exfoliator that has lactic and glycolic acids.
6. Before working out, wash your face or remove any makeup before you get your sweat on. I always workout first before I shower but if it's later in the day and you don't have time to wash, use a micellar water to clear up any clogged pores. I am a big fan of Bioderma Sensibo when I am in a rush.
7. Diet definitely pays a huge role with breakouts. Everyone is different but diary definitely can be a big cause I know this because as a teen it was a major factor for me. Eat healthy as much as you can and love you skin.
8. As well as sleep affecting your skin so does stress. My pre teen daughter has crazy breakouts around exam time. As an adult stress is multiplied especially with all that we are experiencing in our life. We can't control the outside world but we can be kind to ourselves and focus on what makes you happy.
9. Don't pick your spots. I used to be the biggest culprit of this and have facial scarring because of it. We spread bacteria because we are touching other things and then trying to squeeze a spot. Rather get your facials to help you get those pesky spots and blackheads out.
Or try a pimple patch I have loved using Vice Reversa Pimple Patches. The patches targets pimples in their development stage, helping to neutralize and flatten them before they fully develop.
Our CBD infused sheet masks are a goodie when it comes to breakouts and calming your skin. Shop our winter warmer till the end of August.
Love Lumi Glo Team